The AL Arish was originally built as the 4,609 GRT Roll On/Roll Off PAX-ferry EL Tor built at A/S Bergens shipbuilding, Bergens, Norway (Yard No. 794) for Misr Edco Sg. Col., Ltd., Alexandria, Egypt. She was launched on 23 September 1980 and completed and delivered 31 March 1981. The ship was 106 meters in length and 17.3 meters in beam, with twin 12-cylinder diesel engines, a bowthruster from close maneuvering, and 2 shafts for a speed of 19 knots. The ship also had 328 cabins, room for 1025 passengers, and could carry up to 150 automobiles in her car deck.
In 1991 the ship was renamed EL Tor EL Arish, a name which she kept until being sold to the Sayed Nasr Navigation Line, Cairo, in 1999 and renamed Al Arish.
The AL Arish‘s final voyage was on a return trip from Jeddah, KSA to Safaga in 2001. During this trip a fire broke out in the ship’s engine room which caused significant damage. The ship was able to make it back to Safaga where she was anchored and remained until the ship “disappeared” one day.
Guesses concerning the ship’s disappearance aside, the ship had actually sunk at its anchorage in 37 meters of water! The ship was relocated by Mr. Peter Collings of Emperor Divers a few years later and this looks to be a great wreck dive!
Miramar Single Ship Report for 7719820