Friday, August 6

Browsing: Red Sea Wreck Diving Sites – T

The S.S. Turbo was a 4,782 GRT steam cargo ship built at J.D. Laing Shipbuilding (Deptbord Yard No. 635), Sunderland, UK, for the Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co., Ltd., London. She was launched 11 July 1912, and completed the following month, with a length of 117 meters, beam of 15.5 meters, triple-expansion engine provided by Dickinson’s and single shaft for a speed of 10 knots. Outfitting of the ship was provided by R.C. Craggs of Hartlepool, UK. Although listed as a cargo ship, which she was, the construction of the ship was actually for transport of bulk liquids (water, fuels, oils, etc.). The S.S. Turbo served…

Share.

The “Tienstin”, as it is commonly called, is the phonetic pronunciation of the ship’s actual Chinese name of Tien Hsing. Built at Ta Chung Hua Shipbuilding & Engineering Works, Shanghai, People’s Republic of China in 1935, she was a steam powered tugboat of approximately 300 tons and 35 meters in length. What little information that is available concerning the Tien Hsing indicates that she was on passage from Suez to Massawa, Eritrea, when she ran aground and sank at Abu Galawa Kibeer on 26 October 1943. Diving Information The Tien Hsing lies in 18 meters of water at the base of the reef’s southern face…

Share.

This is possibly the most famous shipwreck in the world and certainly the most dived. Much has been written about the Thistlegorm and a search for a video on “You Tube” alone will bring you over 24,300 results. Within any twenty four hours over 300 divers will visit the Thistlegorm and at some periods it can be over a thousand. The SS Thistlegorm was a general cargo Merchant Navy ship built in 1940 by Joseph Thompson & Son in Sunderland, England. She was sunk on 6 October 1941 and was classed as “Armed”, however although she was armed as such,…

Share.

The S.S. Turkia began life as the 1,671 GRT. cargo ship Livorno built at Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. (Yard No. 562), Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, for Thomas Wilson, Sons & Co Ltd, Hull (it should be noted here that the Wilson Line was also the owner of Earles Shipbuilding). The ship was launched on 01 December 1909 and completed the following month in January 1910 with a length of 91.5 meters, beam of 13 meters, and draught of 5.3 meters. Propulsion was provided by steam boilers and a triple-expansion engine provided by Amos and Smith Ltd., Hull, England, coupled to…

Share.