Saturday, February 27

Browsing: Red Sea Wreck Diving Sites – C

The Colona IV was a dive charter boat which was one of the first safari dive boats to operate out of Hurghada. Owned by Rudi Kneips of Colona Divers, she was a 21-meter Norwegian built steel hulled vessel with twin screws, fully equipped for live-aboard diving safaris. In late April of 1995, during heavy weather, the Colona IV struck the reef at Sha’abrur Umm Gamar (position 27°21’55″N; 34°54’55″E) north of Hurghada and sank. The vessel settled on the bottom in 66 meters of water. Diving Information The wreck lies on the eastern side of the Sha’abrur Umm Gamar reef wall approximately halfway along…

Share.

The Chrisoula K began life as the 3,720 or 3,807 GRT Cargo Ship Dora Oldendorff built at Orenstein, Koppel and Luebekker, Lübeck, Germany for Egon Oldendorff’s growing post-WWII fleet. Launched 16 December 1953 and completed early in 1954, she was 98 meters in length, 14.8 meters in beam, 9 meters in draught, with a single 2,700 bhp 9-cylinder diesel engine from Masch, Augsburg-Nuermbuer (MAN), Augsburg, Germany, connected to a single shaft for a maximum speed of 13.5 knots. The Dora Oldendorff was sold in 1970 (Company Unknown) and was renamed the Anna B. She was sold again in 1979 to the Clarion Marine Company, Piraeus, Cyprus, and renamed the Chrisoula…

Share.

The Carnatic was as a 1,776 GRT steam-powered wood-on-iron constructed Clipper Ship built at Samuda Brothers, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs, Poplar, UK for the Penninsula & Orient S.N. Co., London (later to be known at the P & O Line). When her keel was laid in early 1862, she was originally to be named Mysore. However, when she was launched 12 June 1862 she was renamed the Carnatic. Completed 25 April 1863, she was 89.4 meters in length, 11.6 meters in beam, and 7.8 meters in draught. The ship was outfitted with square-rigged sails typical of clipper ships of the era, and also…

Share.

The Carina is a relatively newly discovered wreck by Mr. Peter Collings. This is an 18th century ship in that there has been quite a bit of confusion about. One source states that this wreck is located on the northern side of Shag Rock at position 27° 47′ 45″ N, 33° 51′ 22″E which is indicated on the navigation charts for the area. Other sources state that the wreck was built on the River Tyne in the late 1890’s and is located “within sight” of the Thistlegorm. Either way, we will have to wait for more information on this ship. Diving Information This…

Share.

The Cape Clear was a cargo ship of 5,085 GRT built at Lithgows Ltd. (Yard No. 906), Glasgow, Scotland, for Cape York Motorship Co., Ltd. (Lyle Shipping Co.), Glasgow, Scotland. Launched 08 May 1939, and completed the following August, the ship was 134.6 meters in length, 17.3 meters in beam, and 8.2 meters in draught. Propulsion was provided by a single diesel engine generating 599 nhp to a single screw for a speed of 12 knots. There isn’t much available information concerning the ship’s history. It is known that on 27 February 1941 the ship was damaged when she struck a mine…

Share.