Sunday, May 9

Browsing: Red Sea Wrecks – A

The “Aya Varvara” is actually the wreck of the “Agia Varvara”. There has always been a bit of confusion about the name of this ship due to the way its proper pronounciation in Greek, with the “g” being silent. It has also been written as “Agia Barbara”, “Ajia Varvara”, “Ajia Barbara”, and “Aya Barabara”. See Agia Varvara for more information

Share.

The Attiki began life as a 2,975 GRT Cargo ship originally named the Masashima Maru built at the Imabari Zosen shipyard, Imabari, Japan. Launched 02 June 1966 and completed later that same year, the ship was 95.3 meters in length and 15.5 meters in beam. Powered by a single diesel and shaft for a top speed of 12 knots. It is unclear who the ship was built for or owned by until the time of her loss.In 1971 the ship was renamed Zougro, and then renamed Attiki in 1974, at which time the ship was owned and operated by Lanathos Cia., Greece. Just before midnight on 24…

Share.

The Atlas was a 4,012 GRT tanker built in 1909 at Robert Craggs and Sons Limited, Middlesbrough, UK (Yard No. 229), as the DT Conrad Mohr for Chr. Michelsen A/S, Bergen, Norway. She was also the last ship built at Craggs and Sons before the shipyard was demolished. The ship was launched on the 04 April 1909 and completed the following July under Norwegian registry. She was 105.2 meters in length, 14.6 meters in beam, with coal fired boilers and a single-expansion engine and single propeller for propulsion. From 1909 until around the end of 1910, the Conrad Mohr was the only Norwegian tanker to operate…

Share.

The Alaska was as a refrigerated cargo ship, or “Reefer” ship, of 1,012 GRT built at Corcho Hijos shipbuilding, Santander, Spain. The ship was launched 22 June 1959 and completed the following November with a length of 82 meters, beam of 12.3 meters with a single diesel engine connected to a single shaft for a speed of 13 knots. Originally registered under the Spanish flag, the ship was renamed in 1967 as the Lago Negro. It is not known if the ship was sold or re-flagged at this time. In 1975, she was re-named Anubis, then in 1980 as the Reefer Express. And then finally,…

Share.

The AL Arish was originally built as the 4,609 GRT Roll On/Roll Off PAX-ferry EL Tor built at A/S Bergens shipbuilding, Bergens, Norway (Yard No. 794) for Misr Edco Sg. Col., Ltd., Alexandria, Egypt. She was launched on 23 September 1980 and completed and delivered 31 March 1981. The ship was 106 meters in length and 17.3 meters in beam, with twin 12-cylinder diesel engines, a bowthruster from close maneuvering, and 2 shafts for a speed of 19 knots. The ship also had 328 cabins, room for 1025 passengers, and could carry up to 150 automobiles in her car deck. The EL Tor operated between ports…

Share.

The AL Salam Petrarca 90 began life as the 6,909 GRT Poeta class Roll On/Roll Off PAX-ferry Petrarca built at Cant. Nav. del Tirreno e Riuniti, Palermo, Italy (Yard No. 250) for Tirrenia di Navigazione S.p.A, Palermo, Italy. She was launched 1n December 1970 delivered the following year with a length of 131 meters meters, beam of 20 meters, and draught of 5.58 meters. Propulsion was provided by twin 9-cylinder B609S Fiat diesel engineswith a combined output of 12,354 HP to two shafts for a speed of 22 knots. The ship was designed to carry up to 1100 passengers and had 506 berths(beds). She…

Share.

The Al Salam Boccaccio 98 was originally built as the 6,450 GRT Roll On/Roll Off (RO/RO) PAX/Ferry Boccaccio, one of 8 Poeta (Poet) class ships built by Italcantiere S.p.A., (Yard No. 4237), Monfalcone, Italy, for Tirrenia di Navigazione, Italy. Launched 08 June 1969 and delivered 30 June 1970, she was 131.1 meters in length overall, 20 meters in beam, and 5.57 meters in draught. Propulsion was provided by two 9-cylinder Fiat S.G.M. diesel engines to twin shafts for a maximum speed of 22 knots. Passenger and vehicle carrying capacities at the time of delivery was listed as 500 passengers and 200 automobiles. The were also…

Share.

The AL Qamar AL Saudi AL Misr was originally built as the 7,697 GRT Roll On/Roll Off PAX-ferry Trekroner built at Cant. Nav. del Tirreno e Riuniti, Riva Trigoso, Genoa, Italy (Yard No. 281) for Det Forenede Dampskibs-Selskab (translation: The United Steamship Company), Copenhagen, Denmark. The keep was laid in April 1967, she was launched 27 March 1970, and she was completed on 30 March of the same year. With a crew of 67, the ship was capable of carrying 718 passengers and 120 automobiles. The ship was 124.85 meters in length and 19.31 meters in beam, powered by twin 12-cylinder B & W…

Share.
1 2