Sunday, May 9

Browsing: Red Sea Wreck Diving Sites – A

The “Aya Varvara” is actually the wreck of the “Agia Varvara”. There has always been a bit of confusion about the name of this ship due to the way its proper pronounciation in Greek, with the “g” being silent. It has also been written as “Agia Barbara”, “Ajia Varvara”, “Ajia Barbara”, and “Aya Barabara”. See Agia Varvara for more information

Share.

The Attiki began life as a 2,975 GRT Cargo ship originally named the Masashima Maru built at the Imabari Zosen shipyard, Imabari, Japan. Launched 02 June 1966 and completed later that same year, the ship was 95.3 meters in length and 15.5 meters in beam. Powered by a single diesel and shaft for a top speed of 12 knots. It is unclear who the ship was built for or owned by until the time of her loss.In 1971 the ship was renamed Zougro, and then renamed Attiki in 1974, at which time the ship was owned and operated by Lanathos Cia., Greece. Just before midnight on 24…

Share.

The AL Arish was originally built as the 4,609 GRT Roll On/Roll Off PAX-ferry EL Tor built at A/S Bergens shipbuilding, Bergens, Norway (Yard No. 794) for Misr Edco Sg. Col., Ltd., Alexandria, Egypt. She was launched on 23 September 1980 and completed and delivered 31 March 1981. The ship was 106 meters in length and 17.3 meters in beam, with twin 12-cylinder diesel engines, a bowthruster from close maneuvering, and 2 shafts for a speed of 19 knots. The ship also had 328 cabins, room for 1025 passengers, and could carry up to 150 automobiles in her car deck. The EL Tor operated between ports…

Share.

The AL Qamar AL Saudi AL Misr was originally built as the 7,697 GRT Roll On/Roll Off PAX-ferry Trekroner built at Cant. Nav. del Tirreno e Riuniti, Riva Trigoso, Genoa, Italy (Yard No. 281) for Det Forenede Dampskibs-Selskab (translation: The United Steamship Company), Copenhagen, Denmark. The keep was laid in April 1967, she was launched 27 March 1970, and she was completed on 30 March of the same year. With a crew of 67, the ship was capable of carrying 718 passengers and 120 automobiles. The ship was 124.85 meters in length and 19.31 meters in beam, powered by twin 12-cylinder B & W…

Share.

The AL Kahfain began life as the 4,479 GRT Roll On/Roll Off PAX-ferry Ulster Queen built at Cammel Laird Shipbuilders Ltd., Birkenhead, UK (Yard No. 1323) for the Belfast Steamship Co (Coast Lines). She was launched on 01 December 1966 and completed in June the following year with a length of 115 meters, beam of 16.5 meters, and draught of 4.13 meters. Propulsion was provided by twin 12-cylinder Ielstick turbocharged diesel engines with a combined output of 11,590 HP to two controllable pitch propellers for a speed of 17.5 knots. The ship was designed to carry up to 1,008 passengers and had 509 berths(beds).…

Share.

The Aida was built as a Lighthouse/Bouy Tender for Egyptian Ports and Lighthouses Administration at the Loire shipyard (Yard No. 454), Nantes, Western France. Completed in June of 1911, she was 1,426 or 1,428 GRT ,with a length75.1 meters, beam of 9.7 meters, draught of 7 meters, and a single triple-expansion engine for a speed of 9 knots. The Aida was transferred at some point during her career to the Egyptian Marina in order to be used as a troop carrier (dates unknown). Here we will have to rely on the research of Mr. Ned Middleton concerning the ship’s history: An entry in the official British…

Share.

The Agia Varvara was originally built as the 863 GRT Cargo ship Nina at Ch & At Aug-Normand, Le Havre, France for Cie Generale Transatlantique (Transat), Le Havre, France. The ship was completed in October 1950 with a length of 63.5 meters, beam of 9.3 meters, and a draught of 4 meters. Propulsion was provided by a 5-cylinder diesel engine and a single shaft for a speed of 10 knots. In 1958 she was lengthed by 6.8 meters with an increase to 1,075 GRT. In late 1963 or early 1964, the ship was sold to the Cayman Islands and renamed Athenia. Renamed again in 1970…

Share.

The Adamantia “K” was originally built as the 844 GRT cargo ship Marienburg at Bremer Vulkan Werke, Stettiner Oberwerke Stettin-Grabow (Yard No. 674) for the Neue Dampfer Companie, Stettin. Construction of the ship commenced in 1919 and was completed in May of 1920 with a length of 61.7 meters LPP (64-65 meters LOA), beam of 9.38 meters, and a draught of 3.85 meters. Propulsion was provided by a single 470-psi triple-expansion engine and a single screw for a speed of 9.5 knots. Crew compliment was 19 personnel. In 1923 the ship was signed over to the Stettiner Dampfer Companie, Stettin (Paid off?) And then…

Share.

The Abu Saimma was an Egyptian trawler typical of the type of commercial fishing vessel on sees throughout the Red Sea and along the North Coast. They are wooden vessels typically between 25 and 65 meters in length, powered by a single diesel engine and shaft. The majority of these boats are built in Alexandria, Port Said, Suez, and Safaga. Details of the loss of the Abu Saimma according to local information is that she pulled into the Mikalawa lagoon for engine repairs, struck the reef and sank. It appears that there was some attempt at salvage at the time of the sinking. …

Share.

The M/V Aboudy is said to have originally been built as the 500 GRT wine tanker Ville De Tenes at Dutch Kramer & Booy, Kootstertille (Yard No. 111) for Societe Mediterranee de Combustibles, Sete. Launched 19 September 1959 with a length of76 meters, beam of 11.4 meters, with a 7-cylinder diesel engine. In 1962 she became the Captain Saint Jean until she was purchased by Nakhia & Sado Marine in 1979 and renamed Aboudy What is known is that the ship ran aground in heavy weather, quite possibly on 07 May 1988, at Ras Gharib, Egypt carrying a cargo of aluminum, livestock, and cough medicine. The ship…

Share.