Saturday, February 27

Browsing: Red Sea Wrecks – S

Very little information has been found for this vessel. What is known is that she was a small cargo ship of 778 GRT which was built in 1943 and departed Suez en route to Safaga in ballast, running aground and sinking on 06 April 1976 on the northern tip of Ashrafi Island at position 27.48.00N/33.40.16E in 20-24 meters of water. The ship was abandoned and declared a total construction loss. Diving Information The Star of Rawiah is a regular dive destination for recreational divers. No reviews on diving this wreck have been found as of yet. References: http://www.touregypt.net/VDC/miscegyptwrecks.htm

Share.

This is not actually a shipwreck. These are two LMS Stanier 8F Locomotive engines that are associated with the better, well known wreck of the Thistlegorm. The Stanier 8F locomotive engines are more formally known as London Midland and Scottish (LMS) Railway 8F class 2-8-0’s. There were 852 of these locomotives built between 1935 and 1946 as a freight version based on William Stanier’s design known as the Black Five. At the outbreak of WWII, the British Government formed the Railway Executive Committee (REC) to oversee and coordinate railway companies during the war. The War Department requested second-hand locomotives for use overseas and were given a number of older…

Share.

This is the wreck of dive charter boat which came to rest on the bottom of the leeward side of the Sha’ab Shear reef. Apparently, so the story goes, is that the skipper of the dive boat failed to properly moor the boat and when the tide changed, the boat swung around and ended up on the reef. The vessel has been salvaged, with the superstructure and engine having been removed, so there isn’t much of the boat left. What is left are the remains of the wooden hull, which is slowly deteriorating, but is teeming with aquatic life. …

Share.

The Siris was a Liberian register tanker of 28,748 GRT which was originally named the Aurora. Built at Uraga Shipyard (Yard No. 750), Uraga ,Yokosuka Kanagawa Japan, she was launched 12 February 1960 and completed the following June with a length of 223.5 meters and beam of 30.6 meters. Propulsion was provided by triple-expansion engines and a single propeller for a top speed of 16 knots. In 1967 the ship was sold (Owners unknown) and renamed Siris On 26 October 197, the last day of the Yom Kippur War (1973 Arab-Israeli War, or the Fourth Arab-Israeli War), the Siris was sailing in the Straits of Gubal…

Share.

The Shillong was a Cargo Liner of 8,934 GRT built at Vickers-Armstrong & Co Ltd., High Walker Yard No. 104, Newcastle, UK, for the Peninsular & Oriental S.N.Co, London. The ship was launched 09 June 1948 and completed 05 March 1949 with a length of 159.1 meters and beam of 20.5 meters . Propulsion was provided by a triple-expansion steam engine from Barrow-in-Furness providing 13,000 SHP to a single propeller for a speed of 17 knots. Normal crew compliment was 87-88 personnel and accomodations for up to 12 passengers. The Shillong’s final journey started in October 1957 when the ship departed the Ushant loaded…

Share.

The S.S. Scalaria was a 5,683 GRT Tanker built at Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson (Yard No. 1173), Newcastle, UK, for the Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Company (Shell Tankers, manager). As with all “Shell Tankers” she was named after a mollusk, in this case the twisting bivalve mollusk “Scalaria. The ship was launched on 22 July 1921 and completed the following September with a length of 125.3 meters, beam of 16.2 meters, and 9.4 meters in draught. Propulsion was provided by a triple-expansion steam engine provided by Wallsend Slipway Engineering Co., Point Pleasant, Wallsend-on-Tyne, UK, and had a single shaft which gave her a…

Share.

The Sarah is a relatively new shipwreck located off of Safaga Island and research is still ongoing concerning the details of the vessel. The ship, an approximately 60-meters cargo ship, had sat at anchor for over a year before capsizing and sinking to the bottom in 14 meters of water. She came to rest on her starboard side and after exploration by Peter Collings, it was found that the ship had been stripped of most of her instruments and other various pieces of equipment….a sure sign of abandonment. The masts still have their running lights, the gyrocompass repeater binnacle in the pilothouse…

Share.

The Samos Faith was a 1,384 GRT Cargo Ship built as the Porto at Nobiskrugwerft, Rendsburg, Germany for Oldenburg Portugiesiche D.R., Hamburg, Germany for use on the Iberia route. Launched on 01 February 1956, she had a length of 72 meters and beam of 10.9 meters. Propulsion was provided by diesel engines and a single shaft for a top speed of 12.5 knots. In 1971 the ship was sold to Souster Shipping Co., Ltd., Cyprus where she provided cargo services on the Famagusta-to-Cyprus route. She was sold again that same year to Soutos Hellas Mar, Cyprus and continued service on the same route. In…

Share.

The Salem Express was a 4,471 GRT Roll On/Roll Off (RO/RO) Passenger ferry originally named the Fred Scamaroni built at Forges & Ateliers et Chantiers de Mediterranee (Yard No. 1367), La Seyne, France, for the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, Marseille, France. The ship’s keel was laid down in June 1963 and she was then launched and towed to Port-de-Bouc on 30 November 1964 for completion. The ship was delivered to Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, Marseille, France, in June 1965. However, a fire broke out onboard the ship on 26 June which caused extensive damage to the ship, resulting in a 10-month delay in the ship going…

Share.
1 2