Wednesday, December 8

Browsing: Red Sea Wrecks – K

The Kormoran was a 1,582 GRT Cargo Ship built at VEB Schiffwerft Neptun, Rostock, East Germany, for the state run shipping compnay of the GDR. The ship was 82.4 meters in length and 12.6 meters in beam, draft of 4.6 meters with a ice reinforced hull. The ship’s superstructure, accommodations, and engineering machinery spaces were all located aft, with 2 holds located forward of the superstructure. Propulsion was provided by a single 1,365 hp BPS-1365 6-cylinder diesel and single shaft for a speed of 12 knots. In 1976 the Kormaran was sold and renamed Adamastos, which is Greek for “Untamed” or “Untameable”. In 1980, the ship was sold…

Share.

The Kingston was an “iron screw steamer” of 1,436 or 1,448 GRT built at Oswald Shipbuilding (Thomas Ridley Oswald, owner), Pallion, Sunderland, UK for the Commercial Steamship Company Ltd. (Mr. John Sheriff Hill, No. 32, Great St. Helens, London, managing owner). The ship was launched 16 February 1871 with a length of 78 meters, 10 meters in beam, and 6 meters in draught. The ship was Brigantine rigged with a mast located both forward and aft. She had a single deck with a 2 tiered superstructure located forward of amidships and a raised deckhouse aft, most likely for accommodations for the 25-man…

Share.

The Kimon M was originally built as the 3,694 GRT Refrigerated Motor Freighter Brunsbuttel Byelourus II at the H.C. Stulcken & Sohn Shipyard (Yard No. 770), Steinwerder, Hamburg, Germany, for W. Bruns & Company, Hamburg (Transmar Agencies). The ship was launched on 11 February 1952 and completed the following October with a length of 106.4 meters, beam of 14.8 meters, and draught of 6.81 meters. Propulsion was provided by twin 8-cylinder Waggon & Masch diesel engines which provided 2,940 HP to a single shaft for a maximum speed of 13 knots. The ship was constructed with 2 cargo holds forward of the superstructure, with…

Share.

The Khartoum was a 1,690 GRT “K” Class Destroyer built for the British Navy at Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson (Yard No. 1551), Wallsend, UK. The ship was ordered in 1937 under the War Build Programme and her keel was laid down 27 October 1937. She was launched 06 February 1939 and completed 06 November of that same year with a length of 108.7 meters, beam of 10.9 meters, draught of 3.9 meters, with Admiralty 3-drum Parson boilers, and triple-expansion steam engines connected to twin shafts for a top speed of 36 knots. Armament consisted of: 6 x QF 4.7 in Mk.XII…

Share.

The Khanka, also known as the “Russian Wreck”, is the wreck of a Russian spy ship. Being a spy ship, there is of course, not much information publicly available on it. Nearly all ship’s registered under the Russian flag would have carried a “Zampolit”, or Political Officer, onboard who was in regular contact with Moscow which would give the appearance of any vessel of the Russian fleet, commercial or otherwise, of that of a spy ship. Although the Russians did use commercial vessels for the gathering of information from other countries using SIGINT (Signals Intelligence Gathering), and ELINT (Electronic Signals Intelligence) as well. The ship in question…

Share.